New students in the fall semester can now apply from the 1st of May.

Before submitting your application, please read the instructions and the allocation rules carefully. Fill out the application as accurately as possible. An application may be denied due to insufficient or inaccurate information. Each applicant can only have one active application at a time. Sending in a new application requires cancellation of the older one first.

Foreign students without an Icelandic ID-number (kennitala) can put ten times nine (9999999999) in the social security number field.

  • It is important to monitor emails closely as applicants are given 48 hours to accept or decline a housing offer. When those 48 hours have passed the offer will expire and counts as one rejection. If an applicant declines a housing offer three times they will no longer have a place on the waiting list and will have to apply again. We kindly ask applicants to keep their contact information on the application up-to-date e.g. phone-number, email etc.
  • Those applying for a couples apartment must also fill out all information about their spouse, otherwise, the information on the application will be deemed insufficient. The applicant must hand in a confirmation of studies to the main office if their spouse studies at another school than the University of Iceland.

A username and password is sent to the applicant by email at the end of the application process to log into My pages. My pages can be used to observe waiting list status and to confirm the applicants place on the waiting list. Remember to confirm your spot on the waiting list between the 1st and 5th of each month. An applicant will be automatically removed from the waiting list if they do not confirm their spot.

Note that new students in the fall semester can only apply from the 1st of May and new students in the spring can apply from the 1st of October. A button for "new students" appears on the application page after midnight on the 30th of April. If the application is opened before midnight the button does not appear. Applicants are considered new students if they have not been registered at the University of Iceland for the last two semesters or longer.

June applications are confirmed in July, July applications in August and so on, all year around.


* The applicant permits Student Housing to request information on registration and/or process of studies from the University of Iceland, records of owning properties and information on family size from Registers Iceland. The applicant also gives Studen housing permission to store the application in the Student housing system and a copy of the lease agreements on paper for 7 years.

* Required fields